[SciPy-user] how to build in fftw3 support?

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Thu May 22 13:31:52 CDT 2008

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 12:41 PM, Lin Shao <shao@msg.ucsf.edu> wrote:
> Thanks for the reply. I made sure that scipy/fftpack/_fftpack.so
> depends on libfftw3. Now if I
> from scipy import fftpack
> then I got fftpack (probably using fftw3).
>
> Here're some confusions I'd like to get clarified:
> 1. What's scipy's fft() function in relation to scipy.fftpack package?

It's an alias to numpy.fft(). scipy/__init__.py does

  from numpy import *

in order to expose the numpy functions with a few overrides.

> 2. What're numpy's fft package (from numpy import fft) and fftpack
> package (from numpy.fft import fftpack)?

They are standard wrappers of the FORTRAN-converted-to-C FFTPACK
library. They are meant to provide relatively unoptimized FFT
functionality everywhere without much build hassle.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
 -- Umberto Eco