[SciPy-user] PIL and gaussian_filter?

Sat May 24 02:12:24 CDT 2008

Sebastian Haase wrote:
> Robert,
> would it be possible, that you could post this
> "C function using SSE2 instructions" !?
> I'm very curious to see some SSE2. Are you saying the compiler is not
> optimizing normal code to use those instructions ?

If iterators are used, I don't think it is even possible to use SSE: the
pointer can be anywhere, so there is just no way for the compiler to use
SIMD instructions. Only JIT could: that's the kind of things which could
make python (or other dynamic languages) faster than C (in a really far
future).

cheers,

David