[SciPy-user] Help with installing scypy

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Sat May 24 21:32:32 CDT 2008

On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 9:19 PM, Mihail Sichitiu <junky@nc.rr.com> wrote:
> I tried to follow the instructions here:
> http://www.scipy.org/Installing_SciPy/Mac_OS_X#head-cfc918ee2c334f8cf364c08fff51e210e7913062
> for installing numpy and scipy on a Mac OS X (10.4.11), but no luck.
> According to the advice there here are my software versions:
> Legolas:~/temp/scipy root# gcc --version
> gcc (GCC) 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1819)
> Legolas:~/temp/scipy root# gfortran --version
> GNU Fortran (GCC) 4.2.1
> Legolas:~/temp/scipy root# g77 --version
> GNU Fortran (GCC) 3.4.6
> Legolas:~/temp/scipy root#
>
> Also, the message error when trying to make scipy (after building and
> installing numpy):
> Legolas:~/temp/scipy root# python setup.py build_src build_clib
> --fcompiler=gnu build_ext --fcompiler=gnu build
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "setup.py", line 92, in ?
>     setup_package()
>   File "setup.py", line 63, in setup_package
>     from numpy.distutils.core import setup
>   File
> "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/site-packages/numpy/__init__.py",
> line 93, in ?
>     import add_newdocs
>   File
> "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/site-packages/numpy/add_newdocs.py",
> line 9, in ?
>     from lib import add_newdoc
>   File
> "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/site-packages/numpy/lib/__init__.py",
> line 18, in ?
>     from io import *
>   File
> "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/site-packages/numpy/lib/io.py",
> line 16, in ?
>     from _compiled_base import packbits, unpackbits
> ImportError: cannot import name packbits
> Any ideas what's going wrong?

Your numpy install is busted somehow. What version of numpy did you
try to install? Did you have a previous version sitting there?

Also, the instructions recommend (and I strongly concur) that you
install the official binaries from python.org instead of using the
system-installed Python. That's probably not your problem, but it's
worth doing.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."