[SciPy-user] problem with weave tutorial

Hoyt Koepke hoytak@gmail....
Tue May 27 18:17:31 CDT 2008

> Since apparently there is no written resource that reliably explains things like
> the following question for the current weave, I'll ask it here:

I should also point out that Travis' numpy book does have a few decent
chapters on weave, but IIRC it doesn't answer your questions.

> The examples you give:
>
> a = weave.inline("return_val = py::object(a+1);",['a'])
>
> a = weave.inline("return_val = a+1;", ['a'])
>
> don't explicitly do anything with reference counting. Can you give any hints about if/when it
> is necessary to explicitly deal with reference counting when using Weave? I'd rather not have
> to extrapolate that info purely from the examples -- but I will if necessary, of course.

AFAIK, never.  The core of weave is the scxx library, and you can look
in scipy/weave/scxx/object.h to see how it works.  It has a lot of
well-commented code dealing with reference counting in there, so I
believe everything is handled automatically.  If you have specific
questions, that might be a good place to look.

In my experience, the cpp code generated by weave is actually fairly
easy to examine and figure out what's going on.

--Hoyt