[SciPy-user] spreadsheet data visualisation app

David Warde-Farley dwf@cs.toronto....
Sat Nov 8 06:53:36 CST 2008

On 7-Nov-08, at 8:11 AM, David Joyner wrote:

> Where do you find this gtk module? It doesn't seem to be installed by
> default.
> Can it be installed using apt-get? I tried googling but got no
> useful info.
> I'm using the python and matplotlib installed via apt-get on hardy
> heron
> ubuntu.

Presumably you mean the 'gtk' module in Python rather than the
matplotlib backend...  Try:

	apt-get install python-gtk2 python-gtk2-dev

You should then be able to use

	import gtk

without error at the python prompt. Hopefully the matplotlib package
for Ubuntu has the GTK backend built in and they just forgot to tag
the dependency; if not, you may be stuck compiling from source (which
admittedly is not hard).

David