[SciPy-user] Install scipy on ubnutu 8.10

Mon Oct 6 07:28:42 CDT 2008

Xavier Gnata wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have installed an ubuntu 8.10 within a kvm image.
> The goal is to write an as simple as possible procedure to compile
> scipy on this distribution.
> I would like to be able to compile scipy only after having installed
> some packages. No tricks.
> Good news, g77 is not needed anymore :)

It was already the case for 8.04, but it was a bit confusing: both g77
and gfortran libraries were available. Is it better with 8.10 ?

> I have one issue:
> scipy/sparse/linalg/dsolve/umfpack/umfpack.i:192: Error: Unable to
> find 'umfpack.h'
> I have installed libsuitesparse-dev providing /usr/include/suitesparse/umfpack.h
> Of course, I can solve this with a symlink but it is very ugly.
> It looks like there is something to fix in scipy auto-detection
> because this "usr/include/suitesparse/umfpack.h" should be detected
> and used.

That's really the debian packagers' fault. Why do they think it is a
good idea to change the header path of the library is beyond me; it
breaks every single package which depends on it. That's stupid.

We could get around it; but I though umfpack was being deprecated in
scipy  (that is, we would do a scikit from it, but scipy would not
depend on it anymore).

> Once again, my goal is to end up with something like:
> 1) apt-get install "the correct list of packages"
> 2) compile/install scipy svn *wthout any extra config*.
> 3) you have a nice scipy installed and you can even  check that using
> scipy.test() (ok ok it is an svn version so if you get some errors
> please report them ;))

It has been the case for a long time :) On old ubuntu:

sudo apt-get install g77 gcc python-dev atlas3-base-dev

On more recent ones:

sudo apt-get install gcc gfortran python-dev libatlas3gf-sse2-dev

The real solution would be to prived our own deb, though.

cheers,

David