[SciPy-user] Inconsistent standard deviation and variance implementation in scipy vs. scipy.stats

Mon Oct 6 13:34:19 CDT 2008

2008/10/6 Stéfan van der Walt <stefan@sun.ac.za>:
> 2008/9/26 David Cournapeau <cournape@gmail.com>:
>> Yes, it would be nice. What do other people think about deprecating
>> all the numpy re-export in scipy ? It would be nice to do for 0.7
>> (e.g. in 0.7, deprecated, in 0.8, removed).
>
> There were no objections to this, so may we go ahead?

My only concern is possible user confusion: some functions (e.g. sqrt)
are provided as "enhanced" versions in scipy, while others are simply
reexported. If we remove the reexports, users can't simply use
scipy.whatever to get the best-available version of each function,
they have to know whether an enhanced version exists. Of course, since
the enhanced versions exist because their APIs differ in important and
possibly surprising ways (e.g., sqrt(-1) has a different return type
from sqrt(1)) this may be a good thing.

Anne