[SciPy-user] Calculating daily, monthly and seasonal averages of hourly time series data.

Dharhas Pothina Dharhas.Pothina@twdb.state.tx...
Wed Oct 8 14:54:30 CDT 2008

Hi,

I'm trying to analyze hourly salinity data. I was wondering if there is a simple way of calculating daily, monthly and seasonal averages of hourly time series data.

So assuming I have two arrays that contain several years of hourly (or every 15min) salinity data: a datetime array called 'fielddates' & a data array called 'salinity'

How would I go about getting the various averages. The seasonal averages would be say defined as May through September etc.

I had a look at scikits.timeseries but it looks like it would require upgrading numpy to install and there isn't enough high level documentation on how to use it for me to be confident in picking it up in the time frame I'm looking at. I'm also not completely clear if it can handle stuff that happens on a scale smaller than a day. If anyone can point me to any usage examples for it that would be appreciated.

Thanks,

- dharhas