[SciPy-user] Matlab can interfere with Python?

Wes McKinney wesmckinn@gmail....
Wed Oct 15 12:45:20 CDT 2008

I have experienced this bizarre problem on two my coworker's machine who run
Matlab (7.6.0 rev 2008a) and I have been teaching to use Python/Numpy/Scipy.
Occasionally Matlab will somehow prevent Python from linking with various
DLLs or severely inhibit the execution of code. I am not really sure how
this could be (other than the Borg at the MathWorks not wanting anyone to
use open source software), but has anyone else experienced this? As soon as
I killed Matlab the problem disappeared.

Here is the linkage output from a Cython dll that was killed by this:

C:\MinGW\bin\gcc.exe -mno-cygwin -shared -s
build\temp.win32-2.5\Release\tseries.o
build\temp.win32-2.5\Release\tseries.def -LC:\Python25\libs -LC:\P
ython25\PCBuild -lpython25 -lmsvcr71 -o tseries.pyd

Maybe it's locking up the windows C runtime msvcr71?

Any help here would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Wes