[SciPy-user] npfile deprecated?

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Wed Oct 15 17:49:43 CDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 17:37, Steve Schmerler <elcorto@gmx.net> wrote:
> On Oct 15 14:07 -0500, Robert Kern  wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 10:12, Steve Schmerler <elcorto@gmx.net> wrote:
>
> [...]
>> >
>> > However, I found that in
>> > the current svn HEAD, the scipy.io.npfile docstring says that it is
>> > deprecated and I should use ndarray.tofile() and numpy.fromfile()
>> > instead. But with the latter, I can't control byteorder, row- or
>> > column-major order etc. That's a bit puzzling.
>> >
>> > I admitt that I haven't followed the development of the new numpy file
>> > format very closely (since npfile worked nicely so far).  So, is the
>> > .npy/.npz way the current standard to store platform-independent binary
>> > arrays with all metainfo?
>>
>> Yup.
>>

> Ah OK, thanks.
>
> Regarding that docstrings, what about removing the lines
>
> "You can achieve the same effect as using npfile, using ndarray.tofile
> and numpy.fromfile."
>
> from the np.deprecate_with_doc() text? The tofile/fromfile route doesn't
> provide the same functionallity. It's confusing, since their docstrings
> even discourage their usage for cross-platform case.

What functionality do you think that npfile provided which
tofile()/fromfile() doesn't? npfile never wrote out header
information. The files were always just the raw platform-specific
binary bytes. It's API is somewhat more convenient (you can specify
the shape in the method call rather than modifying it later), but
that's about it.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."