[SciPy-user] Matlab can interfere with Python?

David Cournapeau cournape@gmail....
Thu Oct 16 02:42:41 CDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 7:21 AM, Wes McKinney <wesmckinn@gmail.com> wrote:
> There's nothing wrong with the DLL build =) I was experiencing problems with
> unit-tested production code being ground to a halt when MATLAB is running in
> the background. In other words, I would execute a simple line of code in the
> Python shell and it would hang or take a very long time to execute. The
> instant MATLAB was closed (matlab not executing any code, just idling),
> Python stopped hanging and code would run as usual. (Seriously!)
>
> I listed the gcc linkage since I thought Matlab might be interfering somehow
> with the use of the Microsoft C runtime, but that doesn't make that much
> sense either because Matlab has it's own C runtime DLL.

I sincerely doubt matlab has its own C runtime on windows. But even if
it is shared, if two processes using the same dll could interfere each
other: it would be an extremely serious bug in the core OS. Highly
unlikely.

Does it happen only with python ? Can you reproduce the hanging with a
small script ? The easiest way would be to be able to run the python
interpreter in the VS debugger, to see where it hangs.

cheers,

David