[SciPy-user] Is the Mac binary of numpy 1.2.1 usable under MacOS X 10.4 or 10.3.9?

Russell E. Owen rowen@u.washington....
Thu Oct 30 11:51:36 CDT 2008

In article
<c7009a550810292120s6cfb8aa5l1affbbe20f57f08a@mail.gmail.com>,
 "Jarrod Millman" <millman@berkeley.edu> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 2:09 PM, Russell E. Owen <rowen@u.washington.edu>
> wrote:
> > The Mac binary of numpy 1.2.1 claims to be for MacOS X 10.5. Can it be
> > used with older versions of the operating system? I'm at 10.4 and have a
> > few users still stuck back at 10.3.9.
>
> I built the dmg and believe that it should work with 10.3.9 or
> greater, but I haven't tested it.  If you have a test system, try it
> and run the tests.  Please report back with the results.  If it works,
> I will update the release notes.  If not, we can try and track down
> the problem and build new binaries.
>
> > Note: I use the python.org Mac Python 2.5, not the built-in python.
>
> Good, the NumPy binary requires that you use the python.org binary.

On MacOS X 10.4.11 (I don't have access to 10.3.9) and after installing
"nose", numpy.test() runs fine for awhile, then prints the appended text
and exits python. Two puzzles:
- What do the initial set of messages mean?
- Why does it crash out of Python if it cannot find a fortran compiler?
I can install one if necessary, but I'm not very keen to have one around
just to run tests, especially since the fortran world is so terribly
fragmented right now.
This is with Python 2.5.2 from python.org.

-- Russell

Not implemented: Defined_Binary_Op
Not implemented: Defined_Binary_Op
Defined_Operator not defined used by Generic_Spec
Needs match implementation: Allocate_Stmt
Needs match implementation: Associate_Construct
Needs match implementation: Backspace_Stmt
Needs match implementation: Block_Data
Needs match implementation: Case_Construct
Needs match implementation: Case_Selector
Needs match implementation: Case_Stmt
Needs match implementation: Control_Edit_Desc
Needs match implementation: Data_Component_Def_Stmt
Needs match implementation: Data_Implied_Do
Needs match implementation: Data_Stmt
Needs match implementation: Data_Stmt_Set
Needs match implementation: Deallocate_Stmt
Needs match implementation: Derived_Type_Def
Needs match implementation: Endfile_Stmt
Needs match implementation: Entry_Stmt
Needs match implementation: Enum_Def
Needs match implementation: Flush_Stmt
Needs match implementation: Forall_Construct
Needs match implementation: Forall_Header
Needs match implementation: Forall_Triplet_Spec
Needs match implementation: Format_Item
Needs match implementation: Function_Stmt
Needs match implementation: Generic_Binding
Needs match implementation: Generic_Spec
Needs match implementation: Implicit_Part
Needs match implementation: Inquire_Stmt
Needs match implementation: Interface_Block
Needs match implementation: Interface_Body
Needs match implementation: Interface_Stmt
Needs match implementation: Internal_Subprogram_Part
Needs match implementation: Io_Implied_Do
Needs match implementation: Io_Implied_Do_Control
Needs match implementation: Main_Program
Needs match implementation: Module
Needs match implementation: Module_Subprogram_Part
Needs match implementation: Namelist_Stmt
Needs match implementation: Pointer_Assignment_Stmt
Needs match implementation: Position_Edit_Desc
Needs match implementation: Proc_Attr_Spec
Needs match implementation: Proc_Component_Def_Stmt
Needs match implementation: Procedure_Declaration_Stmt
Needs match implementation: Procedure_Stmt
Needs match implementation: Read_Stmt
Needs match implementation: Rewind_Stmt
Needs match implementation: Select_Type_Construct
Needs match implementation: Select_Type_Stmt
Needs match implementation: Specific_Binding
Needs match implementation: Target_Stmt
Needs match implementation: Type_Bound_Procedure_Part
Needs match implementation: Where_Construct
-----
Nof match implementation needs: 51 out of 224
Nof tests needs: 224 out of 224
Total number of classes: 529
-----
No module named test_derived_scalar_ext , recompiling
test_derived_scalar_ext.
Parsing '/tmp/tmpYXkcLK.f90'..
Generating interface for test_derived_scalar_ext Subroutine:
f2py_test_derived_scalar_ext_foo
Generating interface for test_derived_scalar_ext.myt: f2py_type_myt_32
Generating interface for Integer: npy_int32
Generating interface for test_derived_scalar_ext Subroutine:
f2py_test_derived_scalar_ext_f2pywrap_foo2
setup arguments: ' build_ext --build-temp tmp/ext_temp --build-lib tmp
build_clib --build-temp tmp/clib_temp --build-clib tmp/clib_clib'
running build_ext
running build_src
building library "test_derived_scalar_ext_fortran_f2py" sources
building library "test_derived_scalar_ext_f_wrappers_f2py" sources
building extension "test_derived_scalar_ext" sources
running build_clib
customize UnixCCompiler
customize UnixCCompiler using build_clib
customize NAGFCompiler
Could not locate executable f95
customize AbsoftFCompiler
Could not locate executable f90
Could not locate executable f77
customize IBMFCompiler
Could not locate executable xlf90
Could not locate executable xlf
customize IntelFCompiler
Could not locate executable ifort
Could not locate executable ifc
customize GnuFCompiler
Could not locate executable g77
customize Gnu95FCompiler
Could not locate executable gfortran
customize G95FCompiler
Could not locate executable g95
don't know how to compile Fortran code on platform 'posix'
building 'test_derived_scalar_ext_fortran_f2py' library
error: library test_derived_scalar_ext_fortran_f2py has Fortran sources
but no Fortran compiler found