[SciPy-user] scipy 0.6.0 build failing

Thu Oct 30 23:28:43 CDT 2008

chris wrote:
> I'm using g77 3.2.3 on RedHat 3. Is there a particular version of
> g77/gcc I should updrage to? A fresh compile of 3.2.3 gave the same
> error.

Yep, that's expected: the upstream version of 3.2.3 is the culprit if
that was not clear. The exact problem is the use of the -msse2 flag; I
believe that if you remove this flag from the build, it should build
correctly. That would certainly be easier to try than compiling your own
compiler :)

Now, unfortunately, there is no easy way to modify those compiler flags
without modifying the source code. You could remove lines 268-270 (the
exact numbers may be difference depending on the version of numpy you
are using), in the file numpy/distutils/fcompiler/gnu.py:

 if gnu_ver > '3.2.2':
            if cpu.has_sse2(): opt.append('-msse2')
            if cpu.has_sse(): opt.append('-msse')

After the modification, remove the build directory of numpy entirely,
and start the build from scratch.

cheers,

David