[SciPy-user] About Random Number Generation

David Warde-Farley dwf@cs.toronto....
Fri Oct 31 13:31:55 CDT 2008

On 31-Oct-08, at 1:21 PM, Wu, Kejia wrote:

> Also, can any body tell me whether the random number algorithm in RNG
> package is a pseudorandom one or a real-random one?

You can't generate real-random numbers in software alone. Real random
number generation relies on sampling some random physical process.
Google "real random number" and you'll find a number of online sources
of genuine random numbers, including random.org (which uses
atmospheric noise) and hotbits (which uses radioactive decay).

> And is there an
> available implementation for Monte Carlo method in NumPy?

Try http://code.google.com/p/pymc/

David