[SciPy-user] Inconsistent standard deviation and variance implementation in scipy vs. scipy.stats

Wed Sep 24 15:35:45 CDT 2008

2008/9/24 Alan G Isaac <aisaac@american.edu>:
> On 9/24/2008 12:05 PM Pierre GM apparently wrote:
>> I think the default to biased estimates was kept for backward compatibility.
>
> It is still a problem that scip.var and scipy.stats.var
> behave differently (and even have a different signature).
> What is the way forward?
>
> An opening suggestion:
> unify the signature, let ``bias`` be a deprecated way to
> to set ``ddof``, and warn users of scipy.stats.var (or std)
> if they do not set ``ddof``.

How about (possibly in addition to your suggestion) deprecating the
re-exporting of numpy functions inside scipy? People often seem to ask
about whether they should be using the scipy "version" or the numpy
"version" of some function, when in fact it's just a re-exporting of
the name.

This still leaves the question of an inconsistency between scipy and
numpy, for which I think your suggestion is a reasonable solution.

Anne