[SciPy-user] Inconsistent standard deviation and variance implementation in scipy vs. scipy.stats

David Cournapeau cournape@gmail....
Wed Sep 24 23:35:18 CDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 4:29 AM, Alan G Isaac <aisaac@american.edu> wrote:
> An opening suggestion:
> unify the signature, let ``bias`` be a deprecated way to
> to set ``ddof``, and warn users of scipy.stats.var (or std)
> if they do not set ``ddof``.

The problem is that there is another discrepancy between numpy.var and
scipy.stats.var: the axis argument is 0 in scipy.stats, None in numpy.
So if we want to be really compatible, we can't just add a new
argument and deprecate the old one; we have to deprecate the current
signature, and change it later.

I suggested some time ago to deprecate scipy.stats current signature
for 0.7, and set the new one in 0.8. If that's fine with you, we could
do that. I don't feel confortable changing a function in scipy.stats
(because it is not "my" module), but OTOH, nobody reacted last time we
had this discussion, so maybe we should just do it.

David