[SciPy-user] Inconsistent standard deviation and variance implementation in scipy vs. scipy.stats

Thu Sep 25 22:53:24 CDT 2008

Jarrod Millman wrote:

> I also don't think it is absolutely necessary to have a deprecation
> release.  The code is officially labeled beta and is currently not
> regularly released.

Yes, but in that case, it would be pretty bad to be caught by it.
Deprecating does not cost us anything (well, it cost me a couple of
minutes), and cost a lot to users. I *hated* it when numpy changed its
axis argument before the 1. release, it took me hours to track it down
everywhere in my code (missing argument is different: you know that
something is wrong right away). I would prefer not inflicting this to
other people. Not in my name, at least :)

cheers,

David