[SciPy-user] NumpyTest warning after upgrade

Alan McIntyre alan.mcintyre@gmail....
Sun Sep 28 14:36:50 CDT 2008

On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 12:05 PM, Gary Pajer <gary.pajer@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've upgraded numpy and scipy after quite some time.  I think I had numpy
> 1.0.4 and scipy 5.2, but I'm not 100% sure.
> I'm on winxp, python 2.5.1, and I installed using the windows exe installers
> on scipy.org
>
> I've poked around the scipy-users and numpy-users lists, and learned what I
> already know:  NumpyTest is deprecated.  How can I fix this?
>
> regards,
> Gary

Hi Gary,

Some changes were made to the testing framework in NumPy 1.2, but
SciPy 0.6 doesn't include the changes needed to work with NumPy 1.2
without raising some deprecation warnings (I think this my
understanding of the versions here is correct, somebody please correct
me if I'm wrong).   As far as I know, SciPy 0.6 should still work, but
it will just complain a bit. :)  I'm not sure what the timeline is for
releasing the next SciPy.

In the meantime, if you just want to patch up your local install, you
should be able to change code that looks like this in
scipy/misc/__init__.py (and probably several other places):

from numpy.testing import NumpyTest
test = NumpyTest().test

to this:

from numpy.testing import Tester
test = Tester().test

I suppose you could switch to NumPy 1.1 or try using the SciPy from
svn if you'd like to avoid making local tweaks.

Hope this helps,
Alan