[SciPy-user] scipy workflow

Michael Hearne mhearne@usgs....
Mon Sep 29 11:14:01 CDT 2008

My main two uses of ipython are for:
1) Testing code at the command line that I'm trying to write in a
script.  Regular expressions, for example, are not something I can code
in my head.
2) Using the debugger (run -d script.py).  This is a huge help for me.
The debugger interaction is not as good as Matlab's - for example, if
you want to set a breakpoint in a module contained in a different file
than your "main", there's a lot of typing.  It would eventually be nice
to have a graphical debugger, where you could click on the line of code
to set a breakpoint.

I use "reset" in ipython to re-import modules after modifying the code.
The only annoying thing about that is getting prompted (yes, I really
want to blow away all of my variables!)

massimo sandal wrote:
> João Quinta da Fonseca wrote:
>> I have given up Matlab and I it feels great to use scipy for my
>> scientific computing needs. However, I find that I use scipy just
>> like  I used matlab, with ipython as my terminal. Although this works
>> OK,  some things are a little frustrating: updated modules need to
>> be  reimported after modification, running scripts requires the run
>> command etc., but this is to be expected because scipy is not matlbab.
>> Now I don't want the matlab way necessarily and I am happy to learn
>> a  new way to do things. I guess what I would like to do is do things
>> the  python way, which I think means writing my code as classes with
>> the  _main_ bit at the end etc., but I am not sure whether that is
>> the best  way and if so, what is the best way to learn it.
>> Does any one feel like sharing what their workflow with scipy is?
>> Any  tips for me?
>
> Apart from the data analysis software where I use scipy as a library,
> I practically only write scripts, without interactive use.
>
> I feel there is more control this way. I don't see much purpose in
> interactive use.
>
> However, you can also write procedural scripts (without classes etc.)
> in Python... no need to delve into OO programming if you don't need to
> (although I like OO personally).
>
> m.

Michael Hearne
mhearne@usgs.gov
(303) 273-8620
USGS National Earthquake Information Center
1711 Illinois St. Golden CO 80401
Senior Software Engineer
Synergetics, Inc.