[SciPy-user] scipy workflow

Stef Mientki s.mientki@ru...
Mon Sep 29 16:09:21 CDT 2008

João Quinta da Fonseca wrote:
> I have given up Matlab and I it feels great to use scipy for my
> scientific computing needs. However, I find that I use scipy just like
> I used matlab, with ipython as my terminal. Although this works OK,
> some things are a little frustrating: updated modules need to be
> reimported after modification, running scripts requires the run
> command etc., but this is to be expected because scipy is not matlbab.
> Now I don't want the matlab way necessarily and I am happy to learn a
> new way to do things. I guess what I would like to do is do things the
> python way, which I think means writing my code as classes with the
> _main_ bit at the end etc., but I am not sure whether that is the best
> way and if so, what is the best way to learn it.
> Does any one feel like sharing what their workflow with scipy is? Any
> tips for me?

For now I use Signal WorkBench as a MatLab replacement,
it misses the interactive single line statement and MatLab's workspace.
Changed modules are always automatically reloaded.

http://oase.uci.kun.nl/~mientki/data_www/pylab_works/pw_signal_workbench.html

And here is concrete example of filter design, compared to how we did it
in MatLab
  http://oase.uci.kun.nl/~mientki/data_www/pylab_works/pw_filter_design.html

As part of the project I'm now improving the editor / debugger,
which will both solve above mentioned omissions.
As soon as this works well, it's almost also implemented in Signal
WorkBench.
  http://oase.uci.kun.nl/~mientki/data_www/pylab_works/pw_debug.html

cheers,
Stef