[SciPy-user] "smooth" plots

Jonathan Guyer guyer@nist....
Wed Apr 1 12:36:47 CDT 2009

Lets say I want to plot y = f(x).

f() is non-analytical and expensive.

Are there any facilities in SciPy (or elsewhere in Python) for
automating the selection of values of x that will produce a "smooth"
plot of y vs. x? The only mentions I've seen for adaptive step size
selection are for the ode integrators, which I'm not doing. Likewise,
the splines and other smoothing functions don't seem appropriate
because I don't have noisy data; I'm trying to figure out what data I
even need to calculate (which will probably not be noisy at all).

Years ago I did things like this in Mathematica, which was really good
at it (even though the actual plots were hideous (necessitating export
of the plot points (which Mma was also really bad at))).