[SciPy-user] quesiton about integrate.odeint

Pauli Virtanen pav@iki...
Fri Apr 3 03:23:37 CDT 2009

Thu, 02 Apr 2009 19:51:36 -0500, Xiangyu Ding kirjoitti:
[clip]
> I just had a quick question about odeint. When I try to integrate a
> large ode system, like dy/dt = A*y, where A is a very large matrix say
> like 70000 by 70000 sparse matrix, the odeint function seem to
> breakdown, so I was wondering if that was a bug or is the function
> simply not made to handle function of that size?

The method used by odeint tries to automatically detect if the problem is
stiff, so it always allocates a dense Jacobian. Since the Jacobian here
is 70000x70000, it does not fit into memory.

You can try using `ode` instead of `odeint`, it doesn't seem to have this
particular restriction.

--
Pauli Virtanen