[SciPy-user] building 64bit scipy

Mon Apr 20 08:53:37 CDT 2009

Hi Dan,

Dan Yamins wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to build scipy 64bit binaries.  I'm on OS10.5.6, and using
> python2.6 built as 64bit universal from macports.
>
> When I run:
>     python2.6 setup.py install
>
> the build doesn't fail along the way.
>
> However, when I then go into python and try something, e.g. "from
> scipy import linalg",  I get the error

That's because the fortran compiler flags do not handle the x86_64 arch.
As there is no official 64 bits build for python yet, it is a bit
difficult to test. In the meantime, I managed to build a 64 bits version
of python 2.6.2, and built numpy and scipy on it. Nothing is needed for
numpy, and for scipy, you will want something like

LDFLAGS="-arch x86_64 -undefined dynamic_lookup -bundle" FFLAGS="-arch
x86_64 -O2 -Wall -fPIC" python setup.py install

This will build a 64 bits only binary. If you want to build universal
binaries, you will need to add the corresponding -arch flags. You should
remove the build directory entirely before starting (you may want to
remove the -O2 flag at first for testing purpose, as the build time is
significantly shorter without it).

There are a couple of failures, and I think you should consider the 64
bits on mac os X as experimental for the time being,

cheers,

David