[SciPy-user] Build error on PPC Mac OS X 10.4

Mon Apr 20 21:52:40 CDT 2009

Christopher Barker wrote:
> Adam Mercer wrote:
>
>> MacPorts has infrastructure to tell a port not to build to universally
>> although come to think of it it doesn't work properly with python
>> ports. But never the less the gfortran is _not_ universal.
>>

> The gfortran binaries themselves? I can't see that that would be an
> issue, but it would be nice if gfortran could build universal binaries.
> Which would mean a universal libgfortran, I guess.
>
> I'd love it if macports could build scipy universal...

The problem is that building a universal gcc is damn hard:

http://r.research.att.com/tools/

As you have to build the driver by yourself from the cross compilers. It
also means building times are significantly longer, which may be a
problem for something like macport,

David