[SciPy-User] ANN: visvis

Almar Klein almar.klein@gmail....
Thu Dec 3 06:11:46 CST 2009

> Extended documentation is available. The part of the documentation that
> describes functionality similar to visvis (from what I understood of
> visvis) is here:
>
> http://code.enthought.com/projects/mayavi/docs/development/html/mayavi/mlab.html

Well, I guess one big difference is the fact that Mayavi is build on
top of VTK, while visvis is directly build on top of OpenGl (which is
also the base for VTK). This would make visvis probably a bit more
lightweight.

Since OpenGl allows more control, visvis gives users more freedom to
create their own objects, and for example different volume renderers
can relatively easily be implemented (in glsl). Of course, most people
are interested in using it out of the box though. Mayavi, on the other
hand, can make use of a lot of fancy VTK features.

In the future, I hope to implement some of the fancy stuff shown on
Mayavi's page for visvis. Specifically meshes and surfaces are things
I believe should be part of visvis in the future.

Another advantage might be that Visvis is designed to be very
transparant and easy to use. For example, in visvis the Axes object
represents the scene in which the world-objects are visualized. These
objects are simply kept in a list lof the axes. Each object in the
scene has a number of properties that can be changed to influence the
behaviour (for example interpolation of anti aliasing of a texture).
In VTK, on the other hand, a visualisation pipeline is build that is
(partly) executed on each draw. Mayavi seems to do this behind the
scene nicely though.

Personally, I use visvis to display images and volumes and
simulatenously display points and lines in the same scene. These
points and lines mostly represent a result of some segmentation
algorithm. In visvis it is very easy to attach callbacks to these
objects, to for example get more information when clicking on a point
or line in the scene. I'm not sure whether Mayavi can do the same.

I hope this helps you get an idea what visvis is and what not. Mostly
though, visvis is a project that started from a need to easily display
volumes and points and lines, and will be extended as my own needs
increase (or other people ask me hard enough).

Cheers,
  Almar