[SciPy-User] ANN: graph-tool, a package for graph analysis and manipulation

David Cournapeau cournape@gmail....
Fri Dec 4 09:29:59 CST 2009

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 7:23 AM, Tiago de Paula Peixoto <tiago@forked.de> wrote:
> On 12/03/2009 10:00 PM, Alan G Isaac wrote:
>> However I still believe that you miscast the
>> issues.  You worry unrealistically that your
>> code could be modified by someone who will refuse
>> to share the modifications, and you do not worry
>> enough about licensing your code in a way that makes
>> it useless to the bulk of the community you announced
>> it to. (I.e., the SciPy community.)
>
> The issue of which is the best type of license aside, do you think that
> switching to LGPL would make it less "useless" to the SciPy community,
> or does it need to be absolutely non-copyleft, BSD-like?

I don't know the position of the SciPy community (if there is any),
but I think any open source license is appropriate. Although scipy
itself is under the BSD, GPL announcements are certainly appropriate.
I believe that there is also a policy to encourage wrappers around
existing code to follow the same license, but again, not a
requirement.

The only thing which can be said is that python code is more commonly
distributed under BSD - that's why  I myself use it for all my
python-related code, even though I think GPL is "more fair" from a
personal POV. Practically, the BSD license may be the one to choose if
you don't have strong reason for anything else, for the aforementioned
reasons, but that's all that can be said.

David