[SciPy-User] [SciPy-user] problem with documentation for `jn` and `jv` Bessel functions

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Mon Dec 14 20:36:41 CST 2009

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 20:33, Dr. Phillip M. Feldman
<pfeldman@verizon.net> wrote:

> The documentation for `jv` and `jn` in
> http://docs.scipy.org/doc/scipy/reference/special.html#module-scipy.special
> needs some fixing. I believe that `jn` evaluates the Bessel function of the
> first kind for integer order n at complex z, and that `jv` evaluates the
> Bessel function of the first kind for real order v at complex z.  (I tried
> to edit the page in question, but although I can log in, I'm unable to
> actually edit anything).

jn() is currently just an alias to jv(). The jn() implementation was
found to be buggy for certain combinations of inputs and the floating
point algorithm for jv() wasn't too bad performancewise over an
integer algorithm.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."