[SciPy-User] [build] visual studio 2008 and intel fortran 11.1 compiler

David Cournapeau cournape@gmail....
Tue Dec 15 04:37:45 CST 2009

HI Eloi,

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 3:37 PM, Eloi Gaudry <eg@fft.be> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think that the numpy/distutils/intel.py module is not up-to-date as it
> doesn't support Intel Visual Fortran for 64-bits apps (windows).

If you have IFort and the MKL, I advise you to use numscons to build
and install numpy and scipy on windows 64. This is much easier, and it
should work today (if it doesn't, I will fix the problems, whereas I
have no interest in fixing distutils at this point).

You only need to first install numscons (pure python, so just do
python setup.py install):

http://github.com/cournape/numscons.git

Then, you build numpy and scipy as follows (inside their respective
source tree):

python setupscons.py scons -b --fcompiler=ifort --compiler=msvc install

 - setupscons.py instead of setup.py tells distutils to use numscons
to build extensions
 - -b tells numscons to bypass distutils compiler detection, so that
numscons does its own detection internally
 - in bypass mode, you need to say which C and Fortran compiler you want to use.

To tell numscons where to look for the MKL, you need to create a
numscons.cfg file inside the source trees, something like:

[mkl]
include_dirs = C:¥Program¥ Files¥ (x86)¥Intel¥compilers¥....¥MKL¥include
library_dirs = C:¥Prorgram¥ Files¥ (x86)¥Intel......¥MKL¥ia32¥lib

Both numpy and scipy test suites pass almost every test on windows 64 bits.

cheers,

David