[SciPy-User] scipy svn on mac osx 10.6

Mon Dec 21 14:46:58 CST 2009

Btw, I just installed a fat 32/64-bit "python workbench" from source:
meaning, my own 64bit python (not the one that comes w/ os x), numpy
(with umfpack + fftw3 ) and scipy ... no dependencies on macports or
anything on snow leopard.

Here's a list of links I found very handy:

* Compiling readline:
http://techdebug.com/blog/2009/01/03/compiling-readline-on-an-osx-105-intel-x86_64/
* 64bit python:
http://www.object2.us/python/install-64bit-python-mod_wsgi-on-mac-os-x-105-leopard
* 64bit scipy/numpy: http://blog.hyperjeff.net/?p=160

The first two links tell you to set MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.5 ,
because they were written for Leopard, I just set that environment
flag to 10.6

All of those resources were very helpful, that last one especially so.
There are a lot of comments at the bottom of the post with people
identifying problems with instructions, and their fix (I believe the
blog text itself is updated to reflect them, but if you're stumbling
on something, skim the comments is all).

Hope that helps,
-steve

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 12:26 PM, David Warde-Farley <dwf@cs.toronto.edu> wrote:

> On 21-Dec-09, at 7:17 AM, Massimo Di Stefano wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm tring to install scipy from svn source on a mac 10.6
>>
>> numpy install without problems, but scipy give me errors about
>> missed "umfpack"
>> thanks for any hints !
>
> UMFPACK isn't the problem; it's an optional dependency, that is just a
> warning. The actual error is in importing a numpy function get_info.
> It looks like NumPy didn't install correctly, and the (rather old)
> version that ships with OS X is interfering.
>
> David

Steve Lianoglou