[SciPy-user] "clustergrams"/hierarchical clustering heat maps

David Warde-Farley dwf@cs.toronto....
Tue Feb 3 01:12:32 CST 2009

Hi all,

I was recently asked to cluster some data and I know from experience
that people use these heat maps to look for patterns in multivariate
data, often with a dendrogram off to the side. This involves sorting
the rows and columns in a certain fashion, the details of which are
somewhat fuzzy to me (and, truthfully, I'm happy with it staying that
way for now).

I notice that dendrogram plotting is available in
scipy.cluster.hierarchy, and was wondering if the something for
producing the associated sorted heat maps is available anywhere
(within SciPy or otherwise).

Many thanks,

David