[SciPy-user] Help on installation of scipy

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Fri Feb 13 01:12:52 CST 2009

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 19:39, yelver huang <yelvergm@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have encountered some problems on installing scipy on Windows, though it's
> quite simple. There is no fault for me to import numpy from Python25, but
> after I install the binary file of scipy, I could not import it. The error
> it shows is:
> Warning (from warnings module):
>   File "G:\Python25\lib\site-packages\scipy\__init__.py", line 30
>     UserWarning)
> UserWarning: Numpy 1.2.0 or above is recommended for this version of scipy
> (detected version 1.0.4)
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<pyshell#1>", line 1, in <module>
>     import scipy
>   File "G:\Python25\Lib\site-packages\scipy\__init__.py", line 75, in
> <module>
>     from numpy.testing import Tester
> ImportError: cannot import name Tester
> The version of numpy in my computer is 1.2.1, I could not understand this
> message. Hope someone could help me.

Well, the version of numpy that is actually installed does appear to
be 1.0.4, not 1.2.1. It is possible that you have old files left over
from a previous installation or you have two numpy packages installed
to different locations, and the old one is the one that is getting
picked up.

Do the following to double-check the location of the installed numpy:

>>> import numpy
>>> print numpy.__file__
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/site-packages/numpy-1.2.0rc2-py2.5-macosx-10.3-fat.egg/numpy/__init__.pyc

You may need to delete this installation of numpy thoroughly and reinstall.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco