[SciPy-user] "clustergrams"/hierarchical clustering heat maps

David Warde-Farley dwf@cs.toronto....
Thu Feb 19 02:15:55 CST 2009

On 3-Feb-09, at 9:43 AM, Zachary Pincus wrote:

> Cluster 3 is a bit annoying to one used to scripting analyses (lots of
> GUI button-pressing), but there's also a python library. Or you could
> just scrutinize the output format (it barfs out a few text files) and
> use your own clustering tools. TreeView then accepts these text files
> and lets you manipulate the heatmap / dendrograms (e.g. flipping nodes
> to get visually better results). You can then export to PS or other
> formats. (The PS output is pretty clean, so you can edit in
> Illustrator or whatnot easily.)

Thanks for the tip. I've since downloaded and played with the both of
them, I think I will try and grok the output format of Cluster 3 and
see if I can't write a function to dump linkage trees from
scipy.cluster.hierarchy to this (one of those?) formats.

Cheers,

David