[SciPy-user] Multiprocessing, GUIs and IPython

Brian Granger ellisonbg.net@gmail....
Wed Jan 7 14:35:25 CST 2009

> I think it adds a very valuable feature - that for a beginner like me
> is much easier to get to grips with than MPI or even the clustering
> features of ipython, to easily allow use of multi-core machines.

I am not questioning that the features of multiprocessing are
valuable, I just want to understand what the limitations are to using
fork.

> It would be great if IPython could sort out the pickle business so you
> could pickle interactively defined functions (they currently don't
> show up in __main__ which is a FakeModule instance).

Isn't the problem pickle itself though?  It is my understanding that
interactive functions can't be pickled, even in regular python.  How
does multiprocessing get around this?  I am aware of tricks/hacks that
make this work, but I would be surprised if multiprocessing was using
these.

Do interactive functions work with multiprocessing in the standard
interactive python shell?

Cheers,

Brian