[SciPy-user] Multiprocessing, GUIs and IPython

Brian Granger ellisonbg.net@gmail....
Wed Jan 7 21:28:11 CST 2009

>>> The FakeModule business is really the culprit in IPython. Which is a
>>> shame, because the comments for that class lead one to believe that it
>>> exists to support pickling.
>>
>> I am not familiar with this part of IPython, but I will ask Fernando
>> or Ville when I get a chance.  Hopefully this could be fixed.  But is
>> that the *only* issue that has needs to be addressed to use
>> IPython+multiprocessing?

> There are probably smaller details floating around, but that's the
> most important one.

OK, that is good to know.

> WRT multiprocessing and GUIs, we have a wxPython application that
> starts up a Process (that does not use a GUI) just fine on UNIX and
> Windows.

But do higher level things Pool.map work?

> But why the sudden interest? And why on this list rather than
> ipython-devel where we've discussed these issues before?

Mostly because of the recent thread on one of the scipy lists asking
about how to parallelize the kdtree code *in scipy*.  One option
mentioned was multiprocessing.  Agreed though, the IPython specific
stuff should be discussed on ipython-dev.

Cheers,

Brian