[SciPy-user] Multiprocessing, GUIs and IPython

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Thu Jan 8 17:50:56 CST 2009

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 2:42 PM, Gael Varoquaux
<gael.varoquaux@normalesup.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 07, 2009 at 08:00:25PM -0800, Brian Granger wrote:
>> > As Robert points out, that's because of wizardry done by IPython. That's
>> > really a pity, because in my experience, multiprocessing is fairly
>> > robust. Nothing that's not fixable from IPython's side, though, I
>> > believe.
>
>> Yes, a bug report should be added to IPython's launchpad site about this.
>
> Good point. I just did so, with a test case.

Thanks, I just saw it.  The culprit here, FakeModule, is *very old*
code that indeed was added to support pickling at the very birth of
ipython.  Unfortunately at the time I had no testing, so I never
encoded anywhere exactly what the cases for needing such  a hack were.

I'll try to rip it out and see if I can find pickle-related failures,
and we can then look for a better solution.

Further discussion of this will obviously happen on ipython-dev, I
just wanted to say here that we'll definitely do our best to play
nicely with multiprocessing from our side.

Cheers,