[SciPy-user] matrix inversion time (Python vs MATLAB)

Sat Jan 10 06:53:03 CST 2009

Sturla Molden wrote:
>> On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 4:57 AM, Sturla Molden <sturla@molden.no> wrote:
>>

>> Numpy does not come with ATLAS: it uses whatever blas/lapack you have
>> available. If you don't have any, numpy has an internal copy of a
>> light lapack, which is not the fastest.
>>

> Ok. If I want to use ATLAS or MKL, must NumPy or SciPy be rebuilt? Or can
> I just replace the DLL?

You have to rebuild. Blas/Lapack libraries are actually a very messy
business, not two of them are compatible (library name, conventions,
link options, etc...).

MKL is not always well supported on all platforms (they keep changing
the names and conventions for each version, in particular, which makes
it very awkward to use reliably).

David