[SciPy-user] matrix inversion time (Python vs MATLAB)

Sat Jan 10 08:08:21 CST 2009

Matthieu Brucher wrote:
>> Yes. Windows has no reliable way that I know of to link several binaries
>> against one library (if you have foo/bar.dll and foo/bar/fubar.dll which
>> link against libbla.dll, libbla.dll must be in both foo and foo/bar
>> directories, or in a system directory).
>>

> As for Linux, safe if you define the exact folder where it will be
> (doable with manifest files), and then it won't be portable ;)

It is not reliable: python itself has problems on some windows because
of that exact problem (for linking hte python dll against the msvcrt;
that's why installing python for one user does not work on Vista), and
they removed manifest from extensions. If python's community is not able
to solve the problem, with people as experienced as Martin Lowis, I
think it is safe to say we won't be very successful trying to do so in
numpy.

I even had discussion with people developing a well known compiler on
windows who were pulling their hair of their skulls because of this
manifest business.

So no, I won't use them unless strictly necessary.

David