[SciPy-user] matrix inversion time (Python vs MATLAB)

Sat Jan 10 17:55:22 CST 2009

>> Contrary to usual programs, Python is scattered in several folders,
>> and in the absolute, the dll should be put in the main Python folder
>> to be seen by Python at runtime. But then what would you do if other
>> modules provide their own MKL dlls?
>
> Currently scipy has duplicates of lapack, blas in different folders,
> so having several copies
> of another set of dlls wouldn't make much difference. If they are put
> in the main python folder, they could be renamed (if that is possible,
> since it would be a "private" copy) to lapack_scipy.dll.

But you can't access them as standard dll, they are accessed by Python
by a dymanic loader, with a specific interface. So you have to provide
a plugin mecanism.

> But I have no idea what happens when other extensions, e.g. scikits
> want to compile against the same libraries and how that can be
> supported. But whatever the mechanism, I think numpy/scipy should have
> its own copies of the dlls and not rely on a system wide install.

First, with Windows, you have to compile against the lib files, which
you cannot distribute in the case of the MKL. So you use the plugin
mecanism to access the library, thus a numpy or scipy interface.
Problem closed.

> However, for these things, I'm a pure user, who only suffers every
> once in a while if programs don't stick to their own territory.

And we need someone to try to get this idea working ;)

Matthieu
--
Information System Engineer, Ph.D.
Website: http://matthieu-brucher.developpez.com/