[SciPy-user] python (against java) advocacy for scientific projects

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Mon Jan 19 14:41:46 CST 2009

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 14:33, Marko Loparic <marko.loparic@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Sturla and all the others for this very interesting discussion!
>
>> There is nothing that says a program written in
>> Python must be 'pure Python'. If you migrate that offending 5% to
>> Fortran or C, you would beat Java in terms of speed, and still retain
>> all the advantages of Python. That is why we don't have performance
>> problems when using Python for HPC. We don't use Python all the time; we
>> use Python where it is convenient.
>
> Specifically on this point, playing the devil's advocate, one could
> argue that using java we could also migrate the offending routine to
> C. Is there an element to argue that the Python/C mix is simpler or
> more powerful than the same for java/C?
>
> I saw also somewhere the argument that python tools containing C/C++
> routines like numpy and wxpython are more naturally or easily made for
> python than for java. Is that really true?

The JNI is notoriously difficult. The Python C API is relatively
straightforward, and there are tools (SWIG, Cython, f2py) that make it
even easier. Or you can avoid it entirely with ctypes.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco