[SciPy-user] python (against java) advocacy for scientific projects

Tue Jan 20 08:26:42 CST 2009

> C++ template metaprogramming is fantastic if you want to write
> unmaintainable code. Hey it's even proven to be a Turing complete
> 'language'! But why go through all of that pain just to match the
> performance of good old Fortran? I known an easier way ... just write
> Fortran instead.

This may be off track, but I'd like to make this opposite argument.
I'm developping a generic framework for HPC, and the generic here is
C++ template-based. 100% static, optimized by the compiler, ...
With Fortran, I would have to rewrite the main computation routine
(more or less one thousand lines before adding memory optimizations,
not counting the model specific code) for each model I'd like to
implement (at least 5 are listed ATM). I don't think I would be able
to write this in Fortran as easily as in C++. OK, I'm not a Fortran
expert, but with this framework, I'm able to debug only one
computation function and to optimize it for every model in an easy
way, contrary to Fortran where I would have to modify every model,
hoping that I would not add any typo.

Matthieu
--
Information System Engineer, Ph.D.