[SciPy-user] SciPy and GUI

Sturla Molden sturla@molden...
Sun Jan 25 09:01:31 CST 2009

For now I would use wxPython and wxFormBuilder for this. Here is what I
require from a GUI toolkit:

- The GUI should be constructed using a GUI builder.

- The GUI should be able to embed matplotlib.

- Support for OpenGL.

- It should look good on Windows, Linux and MacOSX.

- A liberal license.

Here is an example on how to use wxFormBuilder with Python:

http://folk.uio.no/sturlamo/HelloWorld.py
http://folk.uio.no/sturlamo/HelloWorld.xrc
http://folk.uio.no/sturlamo/HelloWorld.fbp

There is more information on how to use XRC files with wxPython here:

http://wiki.wxpython.org/index.cgi/XRCTutorial
http://wiki.wxpython.org/UsingXmlResources

I generally think Qt is better than wxWidgets, but until now the license
has deterred me from using it. I am not use how well QtDesigner works with
PyQt, and if matplotlib can be embedded. But when Qt and PyGTL become
released under LGPL, I will take a look at it again.

If you work on Windows only, there is a second option as well: Use Visual
Basic or Borland Delphi. Wrap your Python code as an ActiveX object using
pywin32. Look in Mark Hammond's book for examples on how to do this.

Regards,

Sturla Molden