[SciPy-user] SciPy and GUI

Dharhas Pothina Dharhas.Pothina@twdb.state.tx...
Mon Jan 26 08:30:39 CST 2009

Gael,

I almost sent a similar question a few days ago about making a GUI app
so I'll tag along here.

I'm trying to make a GUI application to QA/QC field data. I need to
pull data from a text file or database. Explore it and choose points (ie
bad data etc) to delete etc. I have virtually no experience in GUI
programming except for some stuff with visual C++ over 10 years ago that
I vaguely remember.

I've read your tutorial using traits and matplotlib and also a little
bit of some of the Chaco examples. But I'm struggling to decide whether
to go with traits + matplotlib or with chaco. I've also read some of the
older mailing list discussions about chaco and matplotlib but those
don't focus so much on GUI applications.

On one hand, I am already using matplotlib and the timeseries toolkit
extensively in scripts so I'm familiar with them and know that they can
make pretty much any type of plot I need. Also matplotlib has a large
community.

On the other hand, chaco seems to have been designed for this type of
interactive application and the plots I need for the GUI app are simpler
and are supported by Chaco.

Do you (or any others) have any comments about the pros and cons of
each for someone new at this stuff.

thanks,

- dharhas

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 10:40:39AM +0100, Lorenzo Isella wrote:
> I hope this is not too off-topic. Given you Python code, relying on
> SciPy for number-crunching, which tools would you use to create a
GUI
> in order to allow someone else to use it, without his knowing much
(or
> anything) about scipy and programming?I know Python is great for
this,
> but I do not know of anything specific.

I would use traits (see
http://code.enthought.com/projects/traits/documentation.php, and
http://code.enthought.com/projects/traits/docs/html/tutorials/traits_ui_scientific_app.html

for documentation and a tutorial)

The pro of traits is that it is really easy to use, and enforces good
software design.

The cons are that it is still not as mainstream as we would like. As a
result it is not installed on all computers. It is however shipped
with
both major scientific Python distribution (python(x,y) and ETS), as
well
as in ubuntu as debian, mandriva, and is currently being packaged for
fedora.

Gaël