[SciPy-user] SciPy and GUI

Sturla Molden sturla@molden...
Mon Jan 26 09:59:22 CST 2009

> Having just picked up PyQt after doing a lot of work in wxPython, I'm not
> sure if I'll bother going back to wx.  Qt seems to be more well thought
> out
> than wx, and QtDesigner saves me a LOT of time.

That is why I use wxFormBuilder for wxPython as well. GUIs should not be
designed by hand-writing source code. I will consider switching to Qt when
the LGPL version is released. PyQt is clearly superior to wxPython, and
QtDesigner is better than wxFormBuilder.

But for now: as GPL is viral, anything built with Qt gets tainted with
GPL, unless you buy a commercial license. I am not considering the
separate commercial PyQt license here; it is the commercial Qt license
that costs big bucks.

Here are examples of using Matplotlib in wxPython and PyQt GUIs:

http://eli.thegreenplace.net/files/prog_code/wx_mpl_bars.py.txt

http://eli.thegreenplace.net/files/prog_code/qt_mpl_bars.py.txt

Regards,
Sturla Molden