[SciPy-user] SciPy and GUI

Gary Pajer gary.pajer@gmail....
Mon Jan 26 10:36:37 CST 2009

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 10:59 AM, Sturla Molden <sturla@molden.no> wrote:

> > Having just picked up PyQt after doing a lot of work in wxPython, I'm not
> > sure if I'll bother going back to wx.  Qt seems to be more well thought
> > out
> > than wx, and QtDesigner saves me a LOT of time.
>
> That is why I use wxFormBuilder for wxPython as well. GUIs should not be
> designed by hand-writing source code. I will consider switching to Qt when
> the LGPL version is released. PyQt is clearly superior to wxPython, and
> QtDesigner is better than wxFormBuilder.

TraitsUI is somewhere in between a graphical builder and writing source
code.  I've never used wxFormBuilder.  I started to use QtDesigner, and in
fact I was in the middle of figuring out QtDesigner when I discovered Traits
and TraitsUI.  I didn't learn QtDesigner well enough to comment in any
detail.

But I previously used Boa, and I can say with certainty that I find creating
a GUI with Traits and TraitsUI to be *much easier* than using Boa. And I was
never tempted to go back to QtDesigner.   On the other hand, I used to use
the Matlab GUI maker, and thought it was pretty easy to use.  That was many
years ago, now.     YMMV.    I'm a scientist, not a programmer.  I'm hooked
on Traits now.  Aside from the ease of GUI building, there is the whole
Traits way of doing things which very much helps me design my programs.   In
fact, you can see me quoted here:
http://code.enthought.com/projects/index.php

-gary