[SciPy-user] Why is SciPy better than Matlab or IDL? ;)

Gökhan SEVER gokhansever@gmail....
Tue Jul 7 09:58:51 CDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 9:03 AM, Vincent van Beveren <
V.vanBeveren@rijnhuizen.nl> wrote:

>  Hello everyone,
>

> I’m an engineer at Rijnhuizen, which is a research institute for plasma
> physics. We use Python to drive one of our main research projects, however,
> in the scientific circles in this institute Python (and SciPy) are largely
> unknown. Time to change this, I think J. However, since I am an engineer
> and not a scientist I my viewpoint on Python and SciPy are more of an
> engineering perspective, like its Open Source, Free, modern language,
> functional programming, etc... I’m not entirely sure these are compelling
> arguments for a scientist to start working with Python (or atleast not on it
> self). So I was wondering, if I was to promote Python in the scientific
> community here at Rijnhuizen. So I have a few questions:
>

> -          In what aspects does SciPy excel, compared to say IDL or matlab
> ?
>
> -          In what ways allows it a scientist to be more effective?
>
> -          How usable is SciPy for Plasma physics, molucular dynamics and
> nanolayer Surface and Interface Physics (the 3 main areas at Rijnhuizen)?
>
> -          How stable is it compared to other packages. (bugs,
> computation)?
>

> Any comments and insights are welcome!
>

> Regards,
>
> Vincent
>

> PS. Posted in scipy-dev by accident.
>
> ___
>
> Ing. V. van Beveren
>
> Software Engineer, FOM Rijnhuizen
>
> E: V.vanBeveren@rijnhuizen.nl

Vincent,

Here a couple of sources that has inspired me to choose Python for my
scientific data analysis and visualization tasks:

http://conference.scipy.org/proceedings/SciPy2008/

https://cirl.berkeley.edu/fperez/

A Demonstration of the 'IPython' Interactive
Shell<http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2025411588241625522>

Scientific Computing with Python <http://nanohub.org/resources/99>

Matplotlib by John D. Hunter
<http://videolectures.net/mloss08_hunter_mat/>(watched on April 12,