[SciPy-user] Why is SciPy better than Matlab or IDL? ;)

Fri Jul 10 02:11:46 CDT 2009

Vincent van Beveren wrote:

> Thanks everyone for your comments. Because of the many responses I
> can’t reply to everyone personally, but thank you for your input. I
> have summarised your comments into a list, if you have any
> corrections, or additions, I would like to hear:
>

> -          Completely Free: No ridiculous licenses or restrictions
>
> -          Open source:
>
> o        If there is a bug you can fix it yourself, or ask the community
>
> o        You can always go back to the source
>
> -          Stable:
>
> o        Originally written by commercial company, before released
> opensource,

It depends on which parts of the stack you are talking about. AFAIK, the
original design for numpy was done ~15 years by Jim Hugunin, and scipy
was born as an open source project from the start. The "official"
history can be found here for scipy:

http://www.scipy.org/History_of_SciPy

David