[SciPy-user] Today's Scientific Computing Webinar

Gökhan SEVER gokhansever@gmail....
Sat Jul 18 12:35:45 CDT 2009

On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 11:03 AM, Tim Michelsen <timmichelsen@gmx-topmail.de
> wrote:

> Thanks a lot for providing this! A real big thing.
>
> I have issues with the WMV videos on a Linux (Ubuntu) system:
>
> I can see the video correctly:
>
> http://download.enthought.com/media/2009-07Scientific_Computing_with_Python_Webinar.wmv
>
> The earlier ones do not show a video. I can only hear the audio track:
>
> http://download.enthought.com/media/2009-06-19Scientific_Computing_with_Python_Webinar.wmv
>
> http://download.enthought.com/media/2009-05-22_Scientific_Computing_with_Python_Webinar.wmv
>
> I use VLC.
>
> Thanks and regards,
> Timmie

For some reasons some wmv's don't work on my Fedora 10 either. Neither with
VLC nor with mplayer. Seems to me an encoding issue. One technique might be
to convert wmv's to avi's using mencoder to fix this viewing problem.

However, the very last recorded wmv works pretty nicely with mplayer. This
said, there are cases where video was working on vlc, but not audio, and
reverse situation for mplayer :)

In the case where I can't find any solution, I just switch to windows and
use kml player. It can play almost every codec without any problem.

--
Gökhan