[SciPy-user] CDF/PDF Stats with SciPy

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Mon Jul 20 15:16:54 CDT 2009

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 15:11, Omer Khalid<Omer.Khalid@cern.ch> wrote:
> Hi Ivo,
>
> Thanks for your reply. But I am getting a little confused here now. It seems
> there are multiple ways to get the CDF for a distribution. You mean linspace
> function returns a CDF for a normal distribution.

No, not at all. linspace() returns uniformly increasing numbers
between the given endpoints. Ivo showed you how to find the empirical
CDF of the dataset. It is not related to any particular family of
probability distributions.

> As far as I understood from other sources is that scipy.stats.norm.cdf
> (mean, std) will return the CDF for the normal distribution or for
> non-normal distribution given one replace *norm* with the distributions
> name.

Yes.

> And what about scipy.stats.<dist>.fit function?

It will find the maximum likelihood parameters for fitting the given
distribution to your dataset. These parameters can be then used the
the <dist> object to return the fitted CDF, PDF, etc. The .fit()
method is not very flexible, though.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."