[SciPy-User] [SciPy-user] Selection of dominant points

David Warde-Farley dwf@cs.toronto....
Fri Jul 24 23:45:09 CDT 2009

On 24-Jul-09, at 11:47 AM, Charles Vejnar wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a curve with millions of points which is non-standard (i.e.
> it's not a
> gaussian or ...).
>
> I would like to select about 500 points which best describe the curve
> (something like selecting dominant points).

It would be helpful to know more about the problem.  Like:
- are the points evenly spaced along the independent axis?
- are they assumed to be samples from a continuous signal?
- does the signal have any known structure at all? If you could
describe where these data come from it might help nail down what
methods would be appropriate.

Regards,

David