[SciPy-User] Solve an arbitrary function

nicky van foreest vanforeest@gmail....
Fri Jul 31 14:06:18 CDT 2009

2009/7/31 Gael Varoquaux <gael.varoquaux@normalesup.org>:
> On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 09:19:21AM +0200, nicky van foreest wrote:
>> What would be the best place to document examples such as Robert's
>> below? I am afraid such examples get burried in the mailing list while
>> they are great examples of how to use fsolve, for instance.
>
> That's a tough question. You can of course edit the Scipy Cookbook
> (www.scipy.org/Cookbook), but the problem with this approach is that it
> grows messy and may be hard to find.

I completely agree. On the other hand, having to search through the
mailing list is messier still. Adding such examples to the
documentation of a function is perhaps also not the best way. Often
people are searching for a function that is unknown to them, so they
will not find the relevant documentation. A cookbook would then be a
natural place to start looking. I, for instance, find the python
cookbook by Martelli very useful.

Hence, I decided to add this particular  example to the cookbook.

Nicky